Design and Technology Teacher
Job Description – Design and Technology Teacher
Reporting to the School Principal, the Design and Technology Teacher will work closely with the Pedagogy Team, this position will be responsible for developing a design-thinking approach and mindsets in the school community, provide experiences and provocations for children within but not limited to the Makerspace/STREAM programmes in the assigned schools.
Job Role & Responsibilities
- Work directly with children from pre-school, primary and secondary school to foster a sense of curiosity and a culture of creativity through tinkering and creative projects.
- Responsible for advocacy of and developing the school culture of design-thinking and entrepreneurship in synergy with the curriculum.
- Work alongside teachers in classrooms, Atelier and/or makerspace or STEAM areas to provide experiences and provocations for the children and to observe and document the learning process in detail.
- Provide a stimulating environment for children and staff to work on long-term projects and provide a wide range of “intelligent” materials giving children the opportunity to explore and express themselves through as many “languages” including that of but not limited to natural/man-made materials, robotics, coding, electrical circuits etc.
- Manage the makerspace, including keeping an inventory of equipment and consumables in the lab and the handling of broken equipment. This includes developing procedures, teaching and monitoring student safety protocols, procuring needed equipment and supplies and maintenance/update of hardware and software.
- Organize volunteer assistance. This includes recruiting and scheduling guest lecturers and volunteers to work with student teams during class time and during open access times for the makerspaces, for example lunch and recess.
- Produce display and/or documentation on projects and learning experiences that happen in the schools for learning and marketing purposes.
- Be able to utilize online sources like YouTube, Khan Academy, Pinterest and Twitter to connect with passionate, knowledgeable professionals in the area of design thinking worldwide and model the design-thinking approach.
- Provide in-house training on the design-thinking approach for staff, in collaboration with internal and external consultants or experts.
Who we are looking for
- Successful candidate who exhibit our Image of an Educator: Collaborative, Life-Long Learner, Open-Minded, Respectful, Passionate
- Degree or Diploma in Product Design / Industrial Design / Mechanical Design / Design Engineering or a Bachelor Degree in Education with a strong interest and experience in makerspace / STEAM set-up.
- At least 2 to 5 years of relevant professional teaching experience, preferably in a school environment.
- Proficient and fluent in English Language (both spoken and written).
- Able to work with wide age ranges of children from pre-school to secondary school.
- Creative, eye for detail and technical knowledge to design new and innovative products with students / staff / community.
- Knowledge of or demonstrable willingness to use diverse materials to create like wood, cardboard, styrofoam, paper mache, metal, programming, etc.
Interested candidates may forward their detailed CV with recent photograph to email@example.com, stating current location and availability date.
We regret that only shortlisted candidate will be notified.